Comments
  • Brian DiChiara November 26, 2013 at 12:24 pm

This looks pretty cool, but I couldn’t get the Demo on the homepage to work http://getbarley.com/ in Chrome on Windows 7.

• Dan Knauss November 27, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Without a license key Barley seems to break rather than just disappear. If that’s what happens to sites with expired license keys how do we feel about that, spirit of the GPL and all?

• Dan Knauss November 27, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Update to this — I asked about it in the Barley support forum, and Colin Devroe had this to say about it:

“@Dan Knauss We mistakingly coupled the process of “is there a new version available” with the “is this key valid”. We’re working behind-the-scenes to decouple those two things and will try to make that fit into 1.1 release of the plugin in API.

To be perfectly clear; We want Barley for WordPress to go on working if someone has an expired license. They just won’t get any updates after the expiration date.

This update will be out long before anyone’s one-year subscription expires. In fact, we hope to have it out very soon after the holidays.”

I can live with that. I was concerned about the license management system being a hassle to use, but it’s fine. Other than that, my experience was similar to Brian’s. If the “what do I do now?” moments are fixed I’d probably use it a lot. Markdown support would be nice too.

• Colin Devroe November 28, 2013 at 10:13 am

Thanks for following up Dan. We appreciate all of the feedback so far.

• Jacob Dubail December 16, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Looks promising, though I’d need custom field support for it to be useful. I didn’t see any mention of custom field support on the get barley site. Anyone know if it’s on the roadmap?

• Dan Knauss December 16, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Yes it is, and I think they’ve already started addressing that in the latest release. Custom field support was probably the most requested feature. There’s a topic in their support desk about this.

• Mads Nygaard February 24, 2014 at 8:38 pm

The live demo on the website did not work for me still – using chrome latest.